I am a physician. I got there by being a nerd all through my younger years. So I was not one who experimented with makeup. And then one day, I finally decided I should know how to put on my own makeup. So I researched it deligently, as if I was studying for an exam.
This is for someone wanting quick, simple, everyday natural makeup which is also healthy for your skin.
RULE OF THUMB
- Avoid these in your makeup : alcohol based, fragrance loaded, talc (extremely pore clogging), isopropyl, lanolin oil, coconut butter, Lauric acid.
- Avoid thick or solid products eg. stick, pancake, cream, cream to powder compact foundation and concealers.
- Look for mineral for foundation, liquid concealer, powder for blush(avoid creme).
- Wash makeup brushes frequently, replace curler and mascara every 3 months.
- Base or “canvas”. 3 options:
- Foundation + concealer : Don’t cover your whole face with foundation. Use sheer application on large problem area. Strategic concealer for small problem area and under eyes.
- Liquid concealer: If you have relatively clear skin, you can use strategic concealer with no foundation.
- BB cream/ tinted moisturizer + concealer. BB cream is all the rage. It provides coverage in between foundation and tinted moisturizer.
- Powder: Apply small amount only to area the needs it (T zone), not eyes or cheeks preferably. A whole face powder ages you.
- Brow: Use brow powder over pencil. Fill out the outer edge first then the inner sparse area.
- Eye shadow (optional) : Can use concealer as eyeshadow base. Cream shadow is more natural. Use a shade darker than skin on crease and lower lash lines.
- Eyeliner (optional): Use pencil for a more natural look.
- Mascara: A must. Use brown or dark brown for a more natural look.
- Blush (optional): Apply from apples of cheek to temple, chin, forehead and bridge of nose.
- Lipstick : A must. Choose a color that matches your lips. Apply with fingers, concentrate in center and blend out.
You can probably be out the door with this natural makeup in 5 minutes. And voila, an enhanced version of yourself! Now go out and be gorgeous!