Disclaimer: I am not a dermatologist. I am an internist. Having said that, I went to school, work with and hang out with multiple dermatologist friends. (Read: free tips!). This is strictly my point of view and not medical advice.
Simple yet effective anti aging skincare routine.
Anyone looking for anti aging skincare regimen. These are general tips to achieve healthy skin. Specific skin diseases will need more tailored regimen from your doctor.
Because skincare industry is saturated with products. I want you to know that it can be simple. Also because differentiating facts from hype is very difficult. If you are spending time and money, I want you to know things that actually works.
Vitamin C, tretinoin and sunscreen are the only proven effective anti aging skincare products. Here is how to work these into your daily regimen.
- Mild cleanser, especially if using tretinoin.
- Alcohol free toner (optional). If skin is already dry, skip it. If toner has glycolic acid or salicylic acid, can help prevent mild acne. Toner may be helpful for very oily skin.
- 15-20% vitamin C serum.
- Moisturizer with zinc oxide sunscreen (at least SPF 30).
- Remove all makeup thoroughly.
- Mild cleanser. Especially if using tretinoin.
- Alcohol free toner (optional).
- Tretinoin. You will need a prescription (discuss with your doctor). Start at low dose and work your way up. You may get worse before you get better. Be patient, it may take 4-6 months. Over the counter products, cheap or super expensive, are no match because they only contain retinol (which needs to be converted to retinoid acid). You can use retinol if your skin is too sensitive to tretinoin, but use at least 0.5 – 1% retinol.
- Good moisturizer. Especially if you are using tretinoin, you will need this. Choose oil free and noncomedogenic moisturizer, also fragrance free (not just unscented). Lotion is lighter than cream.
Good luck in your quest for the fountain of youth!